Senior Scientist II, Medicinal Chemistry
US – Sunnyvale, CA
May 11, 2018
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
To learn more about us, please visit us at http://www.pharmacyclics.com/
Senior Scientist I, Medicinal Chemistry
We are expanding a world-class medicinal chemistry team to drive innovation in small molecule oncology Discovery. You will work in a rapidly-growing organization, with the goal of identifying clinical candidates in the oncology field to address unmet medical needs. The ideal candidate should have a deep passion for drug discovery with a track-record of accomplishments as a synthetic chemist, demonstrate outstanding problem-solving skills, and curiosity to learn and develop as a medicinal chemist.
Primary Job Function : Conceive and execute novel scientific research or development that achieves projects and area goals. Expertise in synthetic organic chemistry is an essential requirement of this position to drive the SAR optimization cycle to achieve project goals. Expected to generate new synthetic and medicinal chemistry proposals and lead those efforts. Generate new scientific proposals and lead those efforts. Investigate, identify, develop, and optimize new methods and techniques. Act as a lead scientist in his/her area of expertise and critically evaluate relevant scientific and regulatory advances and integrate this knowledge into research or development programs.
Core Job Responsibilities : Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting by generating high impact compounds. Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise. Seize opportunities to pursue project relevant leads that are in line with the group’s strategy, and be responsible for developing new SAR/series. Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate into individual project(s) as well as the overall program. Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences. Effective writer and communicator of research or other regulatory materials.
Position Accountability/Scope : Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards, and safe laboratory practices. Participate in establishing project goals, defining short and long-term scientific strategies, and contribute to the generation of project-related documents and presentations. Keep accurate and current records of research and/or project related activities according to AbbVie policies.
Internal/External Contacts and Interactions : Use external information to gain competitive intelligence. Act as advocate to integrate this knowledge into the group’s research efforts. Generate new research or development strategies to effectively address project and divisional goals/needs. Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement. Publish project-related research in high-impact factor peer-reviewed journals, R&D reports, patent applications and/or regulatory documents/filings. Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
- *PhD in Organic/Medicinal Chemistry. Postdoctoral or pharmaceutical industry experience desirable; 4+(PhD with Postdoc) years of industrial experience
- Demonstrated high impact problem-solving as evidenced by publications and/or patents.
- Experience in synthetic methods development, target-oriented synthesis, chemical biology, and/or physical organic chemistry.
- *Superior laboratory skills and proficiency in experimental design
- Familiarity with structure-activity and structure-property relationships
- *Demonstrated ability to resolve key scientific hurdles by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- *Excellent communication skills; ability to develop, implement and clearly communicate chemistry strategies and progress to team.
- *Build strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of teams to enable higher performance
Key Leadership Competencies:
- *Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- *Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated.
- *Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- *Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- *Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled